I got to thinking about Tyler Perry and how there's sometimes no alternative to see black people at the movie theater. So, I thought I'd compile a list. Here are my faves, what are yours?
These are the movies that get me through holidays, break ups, drinks, grading parties, and life.
In no particular order:
- Love Jones — not streaming
- Miss Evers Boys — not streaming
- Soul Food — You can rent on Amazon, iTunes, or Youtube
- Death at a Funeral (The US version) — not streaming
- Eve's Bayou —You can rent on iTunes or Youtube
- The Color Purple — not streaming
- Lean on Me (OTHERWISE KNOWN AS THE BEST EDUCATION MOVIE OF ALL TIME) — streaming on Amazon.
- What's Love Got to Do With It — not streaming
- Lady Sings the Blues — not streaming
- Waiting to Exhale — You can rent on Amazon, iTunes, or Youtube
- Rosewood — streaming on X-finity
- Do the Right Thing — streaming on Netflix
- Poetic Justice — You can rent on Amazon or iTunes
- Juice — streaming on Amazon
- Love and Basketball — streaming on hitbliss
- Malcolm X — streaming on hitbliss
- Set it Off — not streaming
- The Best Man — streaming on Netflix
- Menace II Society — You can rent on iTunes
- How Stella Got her Groove Back — You can rent on Amazon, iTunes, or Youtube
- Brown Sugar — streaming on hitbliss
- The Wood — You can rent on Amazon, iTunes, or Youtube
- Dead Presidents — You can rent on Amazon or iTunes
- Why Do Fools Fall in Love — streaming on X-finity
- Something New — You can rent on Amazon, iTunes, or Youtube
- School Daze— You can rent on Amazon, iTunes, or Youtube
A few things:
1. I went back and checked to see if these are streaming. I'd like to say I'm surprised by the results...but I'm not.
2. What ever happened to Sanaa Lathan? Why isn't she in everything?
3. Today, as I sit and grade and have my Cape Codders by the gallon, I fucking want Angela Basset Pants: