And I think I'm ok with that. I can't please everyone and honestly I've grown past giving a shit about trying on some things. For one, I spell it "ok" instead of "okay" willfully, because both are acceptable.
Here is a list of things that I occasionally do that probably make me a worse person than I could be, but that I kind of don't give a shit about changing.
- I will get annoyed at breaking news if it's interrupting live TV. I know some places are affected and I should have some sympathy, but sometimes I just am.
- I get annoyed at people in general. Yeah, they are doing things that I could easily not be annoyed by and just ignore, but just because I'm not doing anything about it (I will not go up to someone and be aggressive over minor things, because I know they're minor) does not mean I don't hate it.
- I often choose my dog over people. And I don't care if my dog humping his toys bothered my ex; he's not humping your leg, why do you care?
- I will occasionally not hold open the door or hold the elevator for other people. When it comes to the elevator, I am sometimes pushing the close button if I sense you speeding up. You can wait 10 seconds for the next one.
- Occasionally I eat lunch at my desk, and the smell of food travels. The jerk on the other side of my cubicle wall does this daily, I get to do it once in a while.
- I will pretend I don't see people I know to avoid making small talk.
- I've picked up loose money on the street (like a $5 bill) and pocketed it before asking around if anyone lost any money.
- I flake out sometimes. I don't actively stand people up, but sometimes I will call a few hours ahead and cancel just because I don't feel like going out.
- I cut around people who are walking too slow. Just because your time does not matter doesn't mean that mine is any less valuable.
- I know there are thoughtful, intelligent think pieces on my Netflix queue. But my watched list is mostly filled with comedies and cartoons.
I'm probably deserving of a lot of the hatred I get, but honestly I don't care. Could I make more of an effort to be likable? Sure. Am I going to? Why bother? I am mostly a thoughtful and considerate person, I care about issues and I generally am incredibly nice to people. So if these things are an absolute deal breaker to people on me being a quality person, that's on them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯