I put this on my Tumblr, but I thought I'd share my "wisdom" here, too. Have fun, writers!
Tips for NaNoWriMo From a Gen-u-ine Author
- Every moment you spend crying is another moment you don’t have to write.
- Great ideas often come when you aren’t concentrating on them, like on December 1st.
- Never use adverbs, for they are often unnecessary. Adjectives muck up the action. And nouns — WTF are those for? Only use verbs and the word “Kardashian.”
- Keep up a tally of your daily writing progress. How else can you know how utterly fucked you are?
- Name all your characters after modern-day toddlers. Jaydyn and Nevaeh and Mackenzee are timeless monikers that just scream “classic.”
- Zombies are over. Never write vampires. Werewolves are tired, and you always have to keep track of where their clothes go. Talking Diet Cokes are the new zombies.
- Remember, if you try, you’ve already succeeded! FYI, don’t go look up the definition of success after you tell yourself this.