Should I listen to my gut feeling or should I just say, fuck it Butt, get over your shit.

This is the first time I've had two organizations offer me jobs at the same time. This is an excellent conundrum. But still.

Advertisement

I found out about Job #1 from a friend, who has had other friends work there before. She has heard from them that it is a great place to work, lots of perks, people are concerned about your feelings and your thoughts and things like that. So I applied. I have the skills they want, but it also involves a little bit of sales (which I hate).I had a phone interview with the VP of the company, who happens to also be a behavioral psychologist, who asked me some deep questions, i.e. "How do you deal with conflict in your personal relationships?" (Nunya business). Otherwise, it seemed to go well. Immediately following the phone interview, I get an email requesting an in-person interview. The address is for a home. Like a person's house. I'm a little weirded out because A. I've never been to an interview that is not in a semi-public place, and B. I'm not comfortable going to an unknown man's personal home by myself. But, my friend said this was legit, so I make sure Mr. Buttcheeks knows where I'm going, and off I go.

Turns out, the guy who interviewed me on the phone isn't even there, and this home is not his home. Three people are there in a detached office in the backyard of the house. The home, and the home next door, are owned and lived in by two guys who work for the company. So I would be working, essentially, out of these two guys' backyard treehouse. Their clubhouse of business, if you will.

The interview itself went well. They seem like professional people, and had great questions. The posting for the job didn't close for another week, so I expected to have a week before they notified me either way. Not two hours after I left, I got an email letting me know that I got the job. They want me to start Monday.

Advertisement

MEANWHILE, I'm also applying for Job #2, which is more up my alley in terms of previous experience, but is to cover an 18-month maternity leave. They've indicated that there will be a position for me to slot into when the term ends. It's a somewhat bigger company, and the application and interview process is a little more lengthy. I'm in the middle of it right now (testing and final interview still to go), but all signs point towards them really wanting me for the job.

My gut feels somewhat uncomfortable about Job #1. Mostly because I would be working in two dude's backyard. I also feel weird that the process has been so fast. I mean sure, I could have blown them away in the interview and everything, but it still just feels so, so fast.

I'm going to tell job #1 that I need a little more time to make a decision, in hopes that I'll have more info on Job #2 and will be able to pick what is best for me. In the meantime, what would you do?