Yesterday I posted a few pictures of my husband on Facebook doing the obligatory birthday shout out to him, and someone from my office texted me and was like, “hey I meant to ask you, is your husband Hispanic?”
No...he’s just a white guy. He has black hair and green eyes and rosey cheeks. We pretty much just do white people stuff.
The question was weird because:
- Why does this work acquaintance I don’t know very well need to know the ethnic makeup of my husband. You planning some genocide?
- “Meant to ask you” implies, to me, you’ve had this on your mind. Weird! You’ve been thinking about this? I mean, she’s met him before.
- This person is around my age (lower 30s), seems relatively liberal, and is not a social weirdo. So, in short, she’s not some old lady being like DID YOU MARRY A MEXCAN!?!!?
- We have a few Hispanic people in our office so it’s not like...she doesn’t know any...
- There is no professional reason she’d need to know this (I don’t even know what that would look like but I felt like I needed to clarify that, haha).