Hello my favorite online buddies!
I was wondering if I could trouble you for advice. I have a friend, we shall call them Alex (my favorite gender-neutral name!), who is experiencing some pretty severe cyber bullying. Honestly, I really don't know what else to call it. They are really shaken up over it and I am trying to find some solid options and routes for them to take. Here are the facts of the case:
- Alex has had their Facebook/Instagram/other social media sites hacked, and began receiving some pretty unsavory messages from people
- Their phone number and picture were posted on a dating website. This is so many levels of wrong and rage inducing. I just... I don't even. I am completely unable to even.
- Because their phone has been compromised, they've been receiving calls non-stop that have frequently been pretty graphic and disturbing in nature.
- They suspect they know who has been wreaking all this havoc, but the police are reluctant to get involved because Alex didn't send this other person a "This is harassment, stop" email right away.
- Jurisdictional lines have been crossed, so there is the potential for the FBI to get involved. Me, being the litigious bitch I secretly am, want that to happen and then I want a civil suit to lay this nefarious cyber bully out on their ass.
Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? If so, what steps did you take/wished you had taken? Should you feel uncomfortable discussing your situation here, please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. That's my 'just for GT' email.
Disclaimer: my friend has given me permission to post this, and has reviewed/approved the post. We are being super vague on purpose, so thanks for understanding that in advance.