I’m 25 and I’ve lived in Southern California my entire life. Over the last few years I’ve come to realize that I hate it here. SoCal is a wonderful place for a lot of people, but I’m not one of them. I’ve always been one to daydream about living somewhere else, but in the last year or so it has become more persistent. I’ve even found myself looking at homes in the city I want to move to. I’m really considering making a plan to move in 3 years, when I complete grad school.
Does anyone else have a strong desire to pack up and leave?
Things I hate about SoCal:
· The weather. It’s too fucking hot. It doesn’t rain enough, and if we ever got snow it would be a fucking miracle.
· There are too many people. Everywhere I go is crowded, and it’s nearly impossible to escape the crowds.
· The traffic. I’m sick of living in a place where no matter where I go I will have to sit in traffic. I don’t even venture into downtown Los Angeles anymore because of how much traffic there is. I went to visit my best friend who lives 30 miles away, and it took me almost two hours. I wanted to cry the entire time.
· There isn’t enough nature. We have beaches, but they are overcrowded and the water is pretty gross. I’m also not really a beach person to begin with. If I want to get to nature, I have to drive, and once again sit in traffic.
· Homes are expensive
Things I love about SoCal:
· Diversity. I love how diverse SoCal is. It really is a fucking melting pot, and no matter who you are, you can find your place. This is what I would miss the most if I were to move.
· All of my family and my best friend are here.
· Museums, amusement parks, etc. Which I never really go to anymore because they are overrun with people, and again, I have to sit in horrendous traffic to reach them.