Hi guise! I am new to posting privs and very happy to be here! I'm excited to have this new outlet. I have an awkward wedding etiquette question and I would love to have your input.

Pretty much all of my family lives in California. Last fall I moved to eastern Canada for a graduate program. Since I am a foreign student, I am not allowed to work for the first six months of my program. Once the six months are up I can apply for a work permit. I will finally get to apply in March so I am pretty much flat broke until I can actually receive may papers and convince someone to hire me.

So for money reasons I am not planning on going home for summer break. My cousin is getting married in September, back in California and I was hoping that that would be the occasion for me to make my annual trip back home. I've told her that I will do my best to try to make it.

Then my best friend got engaged. Now, she is planning on doing a city hall-restaurant casual event. She has her heart set on October but she has yet to book a restaurant or venue. It seems like October is far off enough for the locations she is eyeing but I don't really know how much actual time she needs to plan.

I'll only be able to make one trip. How long should I wait to see when my best friend confirms her venue? How do I broach this to my cousin? I don't want to lie to her about not going to her wedding and going to my best friend's instead but I don't want to hurt her feelings either! What is the most tactful way to deal with this situation? Halp!

ETA to say that my best friend expects me to be her maid of honor.

Y'all are the best!


*not my animals, just something cute I found