GT, lend me your hard-won wisdom, please! My house purchase looks like everything is on track for the settlement at the end of March. I’m still pinching myself a bit, but am starting to get excited because it’s feeling real.
I am starting to let myself think about the plans for the place. Projects include:
- Electrical work (not fun, but absolutely necessary to up the amps to 200, re-ground some things and fix the circuit board)
- Ripping out the kitchen, re-leveling the floor, and pretty much starting from scratch
- Taking out a drop ceiling
- Taking up awful carpets that have probably been there since the 70s
- Taking down wall paneling...so much wall paneling
- Taking down a non-load-bearing wall
- Lots of new paint
I have not done this before. Any of it. I have volunteers and am definitely bringing in a professional for the electrical work. Any advice from people who have undertaken these projects before? What would you do yourself, what would you have a professional do? Where should I look to buy cabinets - Lowe’s, IKEA? Where can you cut corners and where is it necessary to spend?
All your wisdom and experience is hugely appreciated!