1. Hospital time is weird. It moves both incredibly slow and obscenely fast. Unless it’s an emergency, “right now” means “in the next 2 hours”. And yet, i’ve been here since Thursday but it feels likes its just been one very long day.
2. Hospital food has a bad rap. What Mr.TenInch has gotten from the patient room service has been actually appetizing, and what i’ve gotten out of the cafeteria has been cheap and yummy.
3. Hospital vending machines on the other hand... Full of old and stale garbage.
4. Nurses are angels on earth. I have no words to convey the depth of my gratitude toward every single nurse we’ve been in contact with, and the level of care and empathy we have both received. Him as a patient, me as an emotional wreck of a fiancée who refuses to leave his side.
5. Don’t get me wrong his doctors have been amazing and provided the best possible solution to a scary situation. We just don’t see them as often as we see the nurses.
6. If you’re going to have a medical emergency, or require any kind of serious medical care in Seattle, Harborview is the best place to do it. I’ve heard stories out of Swedish and Virginia Mason that honestly scared me and reinforces some of the stereotypes about the hospital/medical system. Harborview has been excellent through this entire ordeal. 10/10 would recommend.
7. Listening to someone be extubated is the most horrifying and disgusting thing I have ever heard. 0/10 do not recommend.