I’ve been planning a trip for ages to revisit my Peace Corps country, see my friends there, meet the students I’ve been supporting, and introduce my boyfriend to the country, which is very important to me. We bought the tickets several months ago. The cheapest flight, Turkish Air, had us connecting in Istanbul both ways and getting a 20 hour layover on the way home. I was stoked to get an extra day in a new country and found all the things I wanted to do there.

Then the airport bombing happened; we decided to keep our plans. Then yesterday happened. I figured since we don’t leave for two weeks, we wait it out and see how things develop. Buut the State Department just emailed me:

“In light of the July 15 coup attempt and its aftermath, we suggest U.S. citizens reconsider travel to Turkey at this time... All airline carriers, regardless of country of registry, are currently prohibited from flying into the United States from Turkey either directly or via a third country.”

Which, yeah, is what they’re gonna say. But I guess my question is what are my options at this point? I do NOT want to cancel — I had to beg to get my employer to let me rollover vacation time against company policy to take this trip. My bf is using his vacation time for nearly the whole upcoming year. I have people expecting us at our destination and I wired my final payment literally minutes before I heard about the coup.

We have travel insurance. But if the US isn’t allowing flights to Turkey, what are we supposed to do? Is it the airline’s responsibility to get us where we’re going? Is it the insurance? Are we SOL? Do we wait it out and see if they allow flights again by then? At this point, I’m fine to bypass Turkey as long as I get where I want to go, but I don’t know what to do. Has anyone ever dealt with this because I need advice.

ETA: The airline left me on hold long enough for me to decide that no one was going to talk to me. The website I bought the tickets through and travel insurance company are closed until normal business hours on Monday. So I guess I’ll just get to worry and stew on it until then?