I'm generally pretty happy with my current life/job, but on a whim last week I applied for a job on the other side of the country (Seattle, I'm currently in the Midwest). I never expected anything to happen with it, but I got an informal interview call from a recruiter in the company Wednesday. They called today to set up a second phone interview with the hiring manager and a second person that I can't recall (maybe my possible future direct supervisor?) for Monday. I'm not really sure what the interview process is, i.e. how many people got second interviews or if this is the last interview/there'd be a third, in-person interview after this, so I have no idea how likely I am to get the job. If I do get it, though, I'm going to have to make a huge decision.
Pros: Seattle would be great for me. It's got water and mountains (I've never seen the Pacific Ocean or a mountain before), and I'm pretty outdoorsy in that I love to run, hike, etc. The job pays more than double my current salary, and while cost of living is more, it's not that much more. I'd finally have the money to live alone and do all of the traveling I've wanted to do.
Cons: It's all the way on the other side of the country from my family. I'm close with my family but am generally pretty independent, so that's not a deal breaker. The company is about 10x the size of my current company, and the reviews on Glassdoor aren't stellar. Not absolutely terrible, as most of the complaints are things that wouldn't bother me too much, but several people mentioned layoffs which scares me.
I'm trying to sort through this stuff now, as this is all happening pretty quickly and I have a feeling if I do get an offer I'm going to have to make a fast decision. I'm a planner, I always look before I leap. Both my head and heart are telling me to go if I get it, but I'm terrified to move to a place where I don't know anyone. What if I hate my job and don't make any friends out there? I can't just come back to the job I'm leaving. I love the company I work for right now, and I've never had a better boss, but I don't have any ability to advance here and don't have a lot of work to do most days. I know this new company probably doesn't treat their employees as well as my current one does and I know my new boss will not be as great as the one I have now, but do the increase in salary and the opportunity to live in Seattle outweigh that?
I just don't know what to do. A small part of me is hoping I don't get the job, so I don't have to decide.