Welcome To The Bitchery

I thought I would ask here...

Anyone know how to leave an abusive relationship in Michigan when kids are involved.

Bestie called me today. I have talked about her several times, most recently here. She was walking the dog because her husband had been yelling and basically emotionally torturing her for most of the day. She reached her limit and took a walk. Her daughter, who will turn 3 soon wanted to go with her, but she was afraid that if they walked too long, he would call the police and report that she had kidnapped her daughter. This is something that he threatens to do daily, along with having her arrested and ruining her life (like he hasn't been doing that for a while now).


From what she tells me, it sounds like Michigan is the hardest state to get out of an abusive relationship in. Her phone keeps losing battery power really fast. She's on an old phone because her smart phone went missing months ago. She can't look up women's shelters. I have a list, but I don't want to text them to her in case he checks her phone first.

She needs help that I can't give because I don't know how to navigate Michigan laws and I am states away. I told her that getting an outside agency involved might not be the worst thing at this point. I know CPS case workers and they care about getting kids out of dangerous situations. I'm afraid her situation is becoming more and more dangerous.

Does anyone out there have any advice? I just don't know what to do.

Update: Thank you for all of your advice. I did talk with my friend tonight and things seem more stable for now, but I've made sure she has information to get help if and when she needs it.

Share This Story

Get our newsletter