Planned Parenthood Communication Managers needed in Alabama, Georgia and Mississippi
Full-Time -(this job is not a temporary campaign placement)
Communications Managers will be responsible for development, implementation, oversight, tracking and evaluation of organization's internal and external communications as directed by the Vice President of External Affairs.
- Stay current on emerging issues related to reproductive health and policy, sex education programs and policy, and youth development.
- Develop and produce internal and external communication materials to promote Planned Parenthood Southeast (PPSE) brand and all services provided by and policy positions of PPSE, Planned Parenthood Southeast Advocates (PPSEA) and Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA), including media advisories, statements, op-ed pieces, sample LTEs, newsletters, annual reports, brochures, and more.
- Manage media requests, distribute media requests to appropriate staff, and ensure that requests are followed up on in order to promote Planned Parenthood, our initiatives, and our positions.
- Pitch reporters to proactively promote Planned Parenthood initiatives and our positions.
- Identify key journalists to connect more deeply with Planned Parenthood.
- Maintain media contacts lists, and build and maintain relationships with key journalists.
- Coordinate with coalition partners, policymakers' staff, and other allies to implement shared media relations goals.
- Produce or assist with media-related events and trainings.
- Develop content for and maintain social media properties.
- Assist other staff in producing department-specific communications.
- Maintain consistency of PPSE brand and messaging in all online media channels and communications.
- Serve as a principal contact for marketing and advertising vendors, e.g. radio stations, college and community newspapers, movie theaters, printer, promotional item companies, etc.
- Travel as needed (up to 25 percent per month) to represent PPSE at events and to achieve media relations goals in the field.
- Other duties as required
- Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university; three to five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of three years' experience in public relations, marketing, or communications with a firm, corporation or nonprofit.
- Experience in public relations, health services, sexuality education, and/or activism preferred but not required.
- Comprehensive knowledge of media relations obtained through substantial experience in shaping and carrying out media strategies.
- Ability to solve critical and complex challenges involving highly varied situations that require an in-depth knowledge of the issues facing Planned Parenthood and the operating environment, including the constantly changing media environment.
- Strong written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills; detail-oriented; independent, yet able to work well in a team; ability to multi-task
- Technological proficiency, including skills in word processing, spreadsheets, social media, and website maintenance
- Knowledge of diverse groups, working with a multicultural workforce, and sensitivity and appreciation to cultural differences is required.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- English required; some Spanish preferred.
- Flexible, positive team-player and remain calm under pressure.
- Energetic self-starter
- Committed to excellent customer service
- Professional demeanor and appearance
- Commitment to Planned Parenthood's mission and goals
PPSE provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, veteran status or any classification protected by federal, state or local law.
Apply at Jobs@communityoutreachgroup.net