Or as I originally titled this, “Spotify, You Glorious Bastard.”
I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but we have a lot of new authors recently. It’s almost like we just did an invite thread or something. Crazy, right? As a way to welcome our new authors and get to know each other a bit better, allow me to introduce our newest feature, The Monthly Mix!
<insert fanfare here>
These have been fun in the past, and s/o to Slay for previous awesome music projects like the GT Mixtape and Mixtape 5x5, which are great for inspiration if you’re not sure where to start with your own lists.
The directions are fiendishly simple in their design*
1. Review the month’s theme - this month, it’s “Top 10 Songs On My Repeat List Right Now”
2. Make your selections, according to whatever witchcraft you wish to employ.
4. In your comment, post your list with the artist & title (with or without Youtube links), and commentary, should you so desire.
My playlist for the month is below, to give you an example of how this can work - in future months I’ll be posting a “best of the theme” list from what everyone submits and based entirely on recommends, my mercurial flights of fancy and the movements of the moon. In other words, totally infallible decision making. Obviously.
THIS MONTH’S THEME: Top 10 Songs On My Repeat List Right Now
I wish I could tell you why some of these are here, but really it comes down to a personal calculus even I don’t understand (because I am very bad at math). “Howling At Nothing” by Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats reminds me of the some of the best nights I had out in my twenties. The Mighty Sceptres’ “Sting Like a Bee” has been a great workout song, mostly because in my head I’m swing dancing instead of slogging through Couch to 5K like an insane person who runs for fun. Jakubi is quickly becoming a new favorite and “Couch Potato” instantly puts me in a good mood. Conversely, “All Good People” by Delta Rae pretty much sums up my feelings over the past month of news and need to sob for awhile. Finally, if you’re anything like me and delight in the darkly absurd, imagine The Exciters’ “Say It With Love” as the soundtrack to a murder.
1. Jakubi - Couch Potato
2. FRENSHIP - Capsize
3. The Exciters - Say It With Love
4. Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats - Howling At Nothing
5. The Mighty Sceptres - Sting Like a Bee
6. Julie Bergan - Arigato
7. Amy Winehouse - Valerie
8. Delta Rae - All Good People
9. LEON - Tired of Talking
10. Ann Peebles - Troubles, Heartaches And Sadness
Aaaaaaaaannnnnnnd...GO! Let’s see those playlists!
* Actual degree of simplicity varies from person to person. You may experience different results.
** Profits not guaranteed. However, you will feel a deep sense of accomplishment, pride, and gain access to other sweet playlists, which (I have heard) is even better than money. Allegedly.