Taste of Cinema listed the 25 most visually stunning films of the past 5 years, and not only were they iffy choices (in my opinion, I don't care for almost all of those films)- As usual, movies from female filmmakers were left out. Not one of those 25 films were written or directed by women, and all of the cinematographers listed by name were men.
So I'd like to quickly add some of what I think are the most visually stunning films of the past 5 years by female film-makers in no particular order.
1. Sleeping Beauty - Written and directed by Julia Leigh
2. Belle - Directed by Amma Assante and written by Misan Sagay
3. We Need To Talk About Kevin - Directed and co-written by Lynne Ramsay
4. Zero Dark Thirty - Directed by Kathryn Bigelow
5. Bright Star - Written and directed by Jane Campion
And these are just films I enjoy and think deserve a place on the list! There is a lot of female made content out there, however obviously not enough because there is only one female director to every 15.24 male directors.
What movies would you add?