So, Onepoll.com polled 1000 random Americans, on what they’d do for money, and these were the results.
- 15% of people were willing to shoplift or bet on a fixed sporting event.
- For 13 of the 1,000 respondents, the price is enough to convince them to murder, but fewer were willing to poison a stray animal.
- 20% are willing to steal a street sign, shoplift or flash a stranger.
- 10% are willing to lie under oath, steal a bike or knowingly spend counterfeit cash.
- 25% would swipe a street sign,
- 20% would forge a signature or steal from a restaurant or hotel.
- 10% would enter into a sham marriage, perform a sexual act on a stranger, evade taxes or snatch a purse.
- 10% would commit credit card fraud, punch a stranger in the face, smuggle drugs over the border or even star in an amateur porn video.
- 25% would be willing to donate sperm or eggs without their partner’s knowledge, forge a signature, lie to police and steal a bike, while one in ten would kick a kitten or puppy, take performance enhancing drugs to win a sporting event or beat up a stranger.
- 15% would even be willing to fake their death.
- 6% would commit murder.
Men were much more likely to be swayed by money into doing questionable things — in some cases two or more times more likely, according to the survey. For example, men were nearly three times more likely than women to perform a sex act on a stranger for $1 million or $1 billion, nearly four times as willing to commit murder for the top price and four times as likely to kick a kitten or puppy.
The number of people willing to participate in certain crimes increased with the number of zeros at the end of the price. At the $1,000 mark, only six percent were willing to pose nude for a magazine, but by the time the price reached one billion, 22% were up for the task.
And when it comes to people close to us, 15% of Americans are more likely to betray a friend for money than even extended family members — and much less close family members. They were least likely to betray a son or daughter or a grandparent.
So... What would you do? And for what price? Any special stipulations?
For me personally: I’d do porn for $1 million. It would pay off my parent’s house, my siblings’ and my college bills, and let my grandparents live in comfort for the rest of their lives.