I want to start this: a running list of terrible shit our elected representatives say and do. (Note: if this already exists, I will not do this project, but I can’t seem to find the resource). I guess I’d also want to include some appointed ones, but only for the purpose of blaming the people who helped appoint them. I am excluding Trump because I don’t think we’ll need to keep up our motivation to get him out of office, and because I also think the rest of the world is handling that just fine.
I think I can be vigilant keeping this up, but I need to get caught up to this point. I want to start roughly with the 2016 election cycle just to make the task manageable.
My purpose here is two-fold:
- So that when we are overwhelmed with awfulness and have difficulty remembering, it’s all recorded.
- So that when these guys are up for their reelections, there is an easy resource to hand out to other liberals to keep them motivated to vote in midterms/lower elections. Like, I want everyone to get a page listing their crimes against their people.
- Do we know of an easy way to comb through news articles from certain dates?
- Can we think of an easy way to keep track of when bills are introduced into the House or Senate?
- Can we think of an easy way to keep track of relationships between donors and elected officials? I want to have this information handy whenever someone is voting.
- I’m thinking if I can set up Google Alerts in a smart way, I can get this done, but every time I attempt a Google Alert about anything I get stuff that’s never relevant. Is anyone out there better at this than me?!
- I’m also thinking I want to start another Twitter account that follows all elected reps and no one else. Is there an easier way to manage my own feed instead of create a whole new account?
I will probably also try to police local Louisiana politics, but that will be a little more difficult to gather info on so I’m starting national.
Submit awful things to me any time, anywhere!