Double Union, San Francisco’s upcoming feminist hackerspace is hosting our first event, Tues, Sept 17 at Mozilla’s SF office. It’s a tea party with lightning talks and gluten free treats! All genders are welcome! We are creating a hackerspace space for women (trans and queer inclusive, no petting PoC's hair) who are tinkerers, makers, crafters, and hackers, where we can work, teach, learn, inspire, collaborate, and just plain hang out in a harassment-free, non-threatening environment!
The RSVP system is online! Hurry! There are only 9 seats left! Of course, the RSVP system is mostly for food planning. If you don't RSVP, you are still welcome to join us.
We are currently looking for a permanent space and undergoing the process of becoming an official non-profit organization.
Lightning talks will include but not be limited to:
- A fervent textile arts technology manifesto from our resident YARNBOMBER
- Taking back the streets with STREET HARASSMENT LOGGING
- Learning to SING IN NA’AVI: a Demonstration
- Preview of the 50 SEXISTEST MEN IN TECH: Documenting public sexism by powerful dudebros
- A report on women HACKING GOOGLE GLASS
- Why we need FEMINIST HACKER STOCK PHOTOS
- ALL TWITTER, NO SPAM: Flaminga, a subversive new Twitter client
- Can we make every hackerspace a FEMINIST HACKERSPACE?
- “Mermaid Tits” and other FEMINIST ZINES
- Veni, Vidi, Bici: Conquering Citibike station search with MongoDB and Dashing
- Why I Fight Online Trolls, Lessons Learned By Using Masculine and Feminine Online Handles
- TBD by Sumana Harihareswara
I will be giving the talk on why I fight trolls, including how I am treated on masculine and feminine handles even though I say the same things on all handles, what this tells me about their motivations, and how that has affected my responses over time.
Mozilla is sponsoring the following hors d'oeurves menu and members will be bringing additional treats:
- Mediterranean Platter: Sliced Cured Meats, Pita Chips, Hummus, Baba Ganoush, Tabbouli, Grilled Vegetables, Marinated Olives, Marinated Fresh Mozzarella
- Seared Beef Tenderloin Crostini with Tarragon Mignonette & a touch of Horseradish Aioli
- Marble Potato filled with Smoked Salmon Mousse & Chive
- Gruyere Cheese Puffs with Smoky Chipotle & Pepper Coulis
- Free Range Chicken Skewers, Preserved Lemon, Rosemary & side of Romesco
I hope to see some of you there!