Hello hello! Welcome to the second day of sewing!
Today I tried some buttons and button holes. The machine I have does a 1-step button hole as opposed to a 4-step buttonhole. I purposefully bought a machine with the 1-step buttonhole because I watched a few Youtube videos of the 4-step one and thought if I can get one with the 1-step, may as well.
The 1-step just has you put a button in the foot and set the machine to buttonholes and let ‘er go. These are my first buttonholes (I’m practicing on old sheets-that’s why there’s a line of pink stitching there):
I noticed that one side had a wider stitch than the other so I looked around about how to fix that. Turns out there’s a nob on the side of the machine that balances the stitches. So I played with that and got the button hole stitches to even out. I’m hoping the machine stays that way for other fabrics but it seems testing is always a good idea so I’ll definitely test before adding buttonholes to anything.
Next was on to a button! My comforter cover had been missing a button for literal years and I kept saying I’d sew it back on but I never did. I figured my hand sewing wouldn’t be strong enough for something that gets thrown in the wash as much as it does.
Anyway, putting on a button is SO FIDDLY. My goodness! I might have been a teensy bit paranoid about breaking the needle on the button so I did an excessive amount of testing. I pinned where the button holes were (only a two-hole button for now at the moment-didn’t want to get ahead of myself trying with a 4 hole button first) and then drew with a pen where the pin holes were. Then I put the button foot on and slowly rolled the needle down without any thread using the hand wheel to make sure the needle was going back and forth into the pen points. Turns out my first zig zag setting was too narrow so I went to the next and then the next. Got it on that try!
I put the button down over the pen marks and then put that under the button foot. Still just slowly hand cranked the needle so it went back and forth in the holes in the button and I’m glad I did because it was jussssst going to tap the side of the button so I wiggled it away.
I sewed the button on then and this was the result:
I put that loose top thread through a hand sewing needle and just pulled it through the opposite hole and tied it off. Then I put the button through the buttonhole I’d made earlier!
I will freely admit that I was super happy and literally punched the air when it worked out.
That’s it for buttonholes but here are some non-buttonhole related things from the second day:
- BIG thank you to teamPenguin for the bobbin tips! The issue I was having was that they were coming out cone-shaped because they weren’t winding evenly. I managed to get the bobbin to be much more cylindrical by doing exactly what you said-gently using my finger to guide the thread. Check it out!:
- I’ve gotten better at controlling the speed already and I’m much more comfortable with using the machine overall.
- I can thread faster too! It’s still fiddly but I changed the black thread for white for my comforter cover button fairly quickly. The only thing that tripped me up was changing the bobbin but even that went faster day 2.
- I repaired my comforter cover! The missing button situation made it so the the comforter would kind of ooze out of the bottom through the unsecured part. Here is the before-that little dimple is where the button came off in the wash:
And here it is fixed with another button that hadn’t come off:
I think that’s all for today! Let me know what you guys have been up to and any progress you’ve made. Next sewing day I’m trying a circle skirt!