I tend to spend Sundays meal planning and while I am not on any great weight loss plan or anything, I am very strict about anything I cook at home being fairly healthy* and leaving my unhealthy habits to when I eat out**. Thinking about starting a weekly*** thread so we can share recipes.
This morning, I am noticing all the ideas appealing to me include bacon. I probably should use some bacon and get it out of my system, huh? I love bacon.****
I started subscribing to Buzzfeed Food’s twice-weekly email list and it’s actually great! I mean, it just aggregates lists of things that fit into certain categories, but for some reason that is really helpful to me. Plus I get exposed to different websites.
Here are some things I made last week*****:
- Summer squash vegetables n stuff: I cut summer squash into sticks (like, maybe 1/2" thick), zucchini into about 1/2" thick half-rounds, and red onion into reasonably thin slices. Sauteed red onion and garlic in some olive oil for a few minutes, threw in the squashes and cooked until al dente******. Toss with lemon juice, a dickload of dill, and good nice wet feta cheese.
- “Salad” with bulgur wheat, the rest of that feta cheese, and all the things in my fridge lightly sauteed (zucchini, carrot, onion, calamata olives, broccoli, different bell peppers), plus not-sauteed parsley. Dressing: balsamic vinegar, honey, touch of olive oil.
- This. Roasted veggies, basically (red onion, carrots, fennel, mint). I found the mint didn’t add much - the rest of the flavors kind of overtook it.
- Sorry I don’t use a ton of actual recipes, haha.
* For me, personally, healthy means light on the cheese and reasonably lean meat choices, light on the butter/etc, and carbs are whole grains and root vegetables. With some flexibility, of course, haha.
**I eat out too much. This is pretty much my sole challenge to eating consistently healthy.
***Don’t trust me to do this on a weekly basis.
****I’m annoyed that it’s supposedly trendy to like bacon. Not because I’m trying not to be trendy - because people are throwing all this shade at bacon like it’s a hipster thing. I see how it can seem hipster-y to add bacon to a drink or a dessert or something but this is not actually new. CULTURES ALL OVER THE WORLD HAVE BEEN USING PORK BELLY TO FLAVOR THINGS FOR A LONG TIME!
*****I made more things but like, is it important I post “grilled a pork chop?” Probably not.
******I literally gag at squishy squash. My mom used to think I was faking it when she would cook a squash for like 12 hours or whatever they did in the day.