Welcome To The Bitchery

Should I move out but try to stay with my boyfriend?

Here's my boring, rambling backstory. I am struggling to make the choice to stay or go, because of course I can craft decision matrices with weighted calculations with the Professional Cranks hat on, but in my personal life, I have no idea how to make a decision.

I moved in in April because it felt like I needed to make a change in my life. I needed to take a risk and felt that I had met someone I could have a very, very long-term relationship with. That's actually still how I feel, despite our fights, but I think he's made the decision that he'll be moving in a year for school, and I don't think I'm a part of that in his head. So we might as well live and be together now.


I've been approved for a lovely apartment that's under $500, including all utilities but internet. That's of course much more expensive than the free agreement I'm under now. Financially, I could make a year's worth of good student loan payments and even get a new car without a rent payment, as good a deal as that actually is in the area.

I do, gut-check, want the apartment. I want my own space to decorate and have one-night-stands over to and to be only mine. But I also want this relationship to work and to be long-term. I think my desire is to put newly acquired money into a shiny new thing and that that feeling may subside, though it's easy to what-if getting into feeling resentful here.

He's asked me to stay because he likes me being here. I know he'd be supportive of whatever I want to do. I just don't know what I should do.

TL;DR, I have a meeting to go over the lease on Tuesday after work. After a year of dating and after moving four hours away to be with him six months ago, should I jump ship?


Smart people of the Groupthink: How would you make this decision?

Share This Story