Welcome To The Bitchery

So, about this new baby in my house...

I’ve been back to lurking about here for about 6 weeks now, so I thought it was about time to give an update on that whole pregnancy thing I had going on before I disappeared.

My due date was February 13. I started having contractions that day. By late evening, they were 15 minutes apart, but then they abruptly stopped. The next day, I went about my business. Visited the farmer’s market, where everyone wanted to know why I hadn’t had the baby yet. I ate practically all day. If I was going to go into active labor, I didn’t want to do it on an empty stomach. Been there, done that twice.


By late evening (again), the contractions were back. They were 15 minutes apart, then 7 or 8, then back to 20. It was exhausting. I eventually went to sleep, and slept between contractions until about 5 am, when they started getting much closer together. I told my husband I was going to shower, then make some coffee and eggs. Once I was out of the shower, however, I scratched the idea of coffee and eggs and was barely able to get dressed and down the stairs.

By the time they got me into a bed at the hospital, my contractions were 3-4 minutes apart, but I wasn’t dilated at all. My first L&D nurse (who was more than a little bit unpleasant) wanted to send me home. I wish I knew what my face looked like when she said that, because I am sure that it was priceless. When the other nurse who had initially checked me in came back to check on me, I told her what was going on. I said, “I don’t need to go home. I promise you this baby is coming in the next couple of hours.” She checked me again, and I was progressing. She said, “Nope, you’re staying here. I’ll stay with you, okay?” I didn’t see the bitchy nurse again (yay!). My OB was off galavanting with his girlfriend because it was Valentine’s weekend, so I got the on call OB, and she was awesome. No episiotomy for this gal! And just a couple of stitches.

Honestly, this birth was the easiest of the three. I felt really good afterward, and I didn’t have any “feel good” drugs at all (just the epidural). Aside from the fact that I had morning sickness for the full first half of the pregnancy and then some delightful third trimester nausea, too, the pregnancy itself was pretty decent. Toward the end, I had this amazing sense of peace and contentment —- just a great fuck-it-all type attitude —- and I felt like I could have gone on for another month or two (LOL).

Anyway, it’s taken a lot of hard work, but the third time was the charm, and I am finally able to breastfeed (which has caused so many feelings that I didn’t expect), but I’m grateful that I’m able to do it. I came back to work in May, and on my third day back, my husband lost his job. So we’re dealing with that. I’m glad that he can be home with the baby during the day, but it’s very difficult financially. We are very, very thankful for the Groupthink Emergency Fund for helping us keep our electricity going!!!


TL;DR: I had a baby in February. This is what she looked like on day one. Now, she is fat and happy and is coordinated enough to do things like grab my boob and stick my nipple in her mouth.

Share This Story