Yup, this just happened -
- Him: Let's get together sometime soon.
- Me: Maybe.
- Him: Sounds good. take ya out to eat, and whatever ya want.
- [no response. long pause]
- Him: I think you would really enjoy it. ;)
- Me: Enjoy what?
- Him: Having my full and undivided attention.
- Me: Excuse me? I'm sorry, are you saying that I would enjoy having your attention?
- Him: I think you would enjoy being the center of attention, and by that I mean you would have all of my attention. :)
- Me: I think you should quit while you're (way) behind on this one. You are digging a hole. Those comments are really patronizing! I tried to give you a chance to recover even!
- Him: You have a great deal of depth to you.
I just don't even have any words for this.
- Me: I'm not sure we would gel at all. I'm sorry.
- Him: Maybe not, but I know I would be a better person from the experience.
So... I'm supposed to go out with a man I'm not interested, who says things that make me want to slap myself because it will help with his personal growth? I'm so sorry it doesn't work that way!
- Me: I'm not sure it works that way.
- Him: You don't find pleasant experiences in talking to bright people, even if you don't always agree with them?
- Me: Of course I do. But I don't think that your personal growth or enlightenment is my job. Especially when I'm not sure you even know how the things you say are wrong.
- Him: Then tell me.
- Me: First of all, your concept of what I would enjoy revolves around you. As in I would enjoy having YOUR attention. Then you say it's because I enjoy being the center of attention. Which if you knew me at all is a pretty rotten thing to say. It's actually a rotten thing to say to anyone no matter what. My enjoyment and happiness doesn't come from what a man thinks of me or the amount of attention he wants to fling my way. And your response that you would be a better person? I'm not sure you would listen, I'm not sure you would care, and it's not my job to help you with your personal growth.
- Him: Ok