Due to popular demand in my last post, I will share my mother's* recipe for goat curry and fish stew. I encourage others to share their mother's best recipes if they are willing to part with the information.
Everything I'm writing is in my mom's own hand because we are watching Desk Set and she didn't want to be bothered to get on the computer from the couch. The movie is paused right now, so if there are any typos, I'll check on it after the movie.
- 2 lbs of Goat Chunks- the more bone the better
- 1 Tablespoon of curry powder
- 1 onion
- 3-4 wedges of garlic chopped up
- 1/2 green pepper +lots of leftover vegetables
- good oil (note: she doesn't say what "good oil is, so it's up to you to figure out what she means by that)
- 2-4 cups of chicken broth
- Brown goat chunks in oil on high
- throw in chopped garlic
- turn down heat a little
- cook for a while until goat is less bloody, cook until goat is 1/2 done
- throw in curry
- throw in the rest of the vegetables- cook maybe 15 minutes
- throw in chicken broth
- cook everything until the vegetables turn mushy+ everything is soft and broth is about 1/2 of what you threw in
- now eat this with some brown rice + grow strong
(My mom, ladies and gents!)
Tishito Fish Stew
- canned mackerel
- West African Palm Oil
- A tomato canned product-either paste, crushed tomatoes, or leftover pizza sauce
- chopped garlic
- chopped onions
- chopped up leftover vegetables
- a little chicken broth
- cayenne pepper
- cook all of the chopped vegetables n a frying pan with the palm oil.
- Cook the cayenne pepper with the veggies
- throw in the tomato product
- cook everything until it is soft and mushy
- throw in the mackerel and a little chicken broth
- eat with boiled yam or cassava garri
I remember her food tasting really delicious, so enjoy! Let's share the kitchen magic of our mothers or mother-like figures if you so choose to. Now I'm off to see what wacky hijinks Katherine Hepburn will get into this time!
*Not shown.My mother is not Mom from Futurama (thank god). She is a feisty black woman.