So I’m working on an article right now and I need your help: who are the best moms in literature?! So far I have some jotted down...
- Mrs. Weasley (I mean obvi), Harry Potter
- Ms. Honey, Matilda
- Marilla Cuthbert, Anne of Green Gables
- Marmee, Little Women
- Ma Joad, The Grapes of Wrath
- Blue Rain, Push
- Ying Ying St. Clair, The Joy Luck Club
- Either Daenerys Targaryen or Cersei Lannister, Game of Thrones
As you can see, not everyone on this list is a dictionary definition mother (Ms. Honey and Blue Rain are surrogate mother figures), so we need the spirit of “mother” if not letter of the law. Who else deserves to be on here? In this case I’m looking for actual “good moms,” not necessarily the horrible but fascinating ones (Charlotte Haze springs to mind...) they can be flawed, but ultimately want to do best by and love their children.